Being a Torrington Lion is an opportunity to participate in the fun events. You will be a part of some of Torrington's most popular community events such as; the Annual Car Show, Golf Tournament, Trunk or Treat, Craft Fairs and more. These first rate productions are greatly enjoyed by many members of our community but the true hidden value is in what the Lions do for the community with the funds they raise from these events. Local Lions Club programs include scholarships, sight conservation, hearing and speech conservation, diabetes awareness, youth outreach, environmental issues, and many other programs.
Some of the ways the Torrington Lions Club serves our Community...
- Members voted on January 8th to donate "over the shoe" ice grippers to the Torrington Fire Department to fight fires in the winter.
- Members voted on January 8th to match the money we earned at the Holiday Gift and Craft Fair last October to donate a defibrillator to the Torrington fire department.
- Members will be at the Torringford School (prekindergarten) doing pediatric eye screening on January 24th.
- Members sorted eye glasses in preparation for shipping that were donated over the past few months.
- The Lions Club donated food, clothing and personal items, for those in need, to the Torrington Overflow Shelter. A local company participated by selling us the goods at cost. The shelter was most grateful as they are often overlooked and cupboards were bare.
- One of our members, through their company, donated toys in behalf of the Lions Club to the Salvation Army.
- Club members volunteered to judge the 2014 Torrington Christmas Decorating Contest.
- Club members donated to our local food kitchen and Salvation Army.
- The Lions Club had another very successful Christmas for Children Toy Drive this year. Raising over 1,200 dollars to purchase toys at Walmart and taking them to our local fire department for them to distribute. The club donates money for toys and a member matches the donation -- as well as the local Walmart donating a gift card.
- Over fifty coats were donated to Skip's Coat Drive in the name of the Torrington Lions Club. The coats
collected in behalf of our club went to the Torrington Soup kitchen.
Distribution was setup in the next room from the kitchen's dinning area and
those in need were able to come in and select a coat with dignity. I can't tell
you how many lives were made better (especially for the kids that didn't have a
warm winter coat) but unquestionably the effort was greatly appreciated.
Remember... All funds the Lions raise go back into the community! Much of the focus of Lions Clubs International work as a service club organization is to raise money for worthy causes. All funds raised by Lions Clubs from the general public are used for charitable purposes, and administrative costs are kept strictly separate and paid for by members. Some of the money is used for International charitable purposes and the remainder raised goes to benefit the local community of an individual club.